At least 40 people in Southern Sydney were hospitalised after they began vomiting, had a fever and started cramping. The verdict? They had food poisoning.
Over the past weekend, as mentioned, 40 people (in which 13 of the victims were children) were hospitalised at St George and Sutherland hospital after eating bread prepared at a South Sydney bakery. They were diagnosed with gastroenteritis symptoms and initial test showed that the patients had suffered from salmonella.
Salmonella is a bacteria that lives in the intestines of most animals and is a very common food pathogen that causes food poisoning. But on food, it can be a problem and it infects food if the item being consumed is contaminated by feces. Symptoms of salmonella include diarrhoea, vomiting, fever, nausea, headache and stomach cramps and can start between six to 72 hours after the bacteria is ingested. If you are showing these symptoms, NSW Food Authority urges you to see a health professional.
Since Monday, NSW Food Authority has closed the bakery and will remain so as the investigation takes place to find the source of the incident.
Do you need to have a checkup if you are showing these symptoms? Are you going to take more precautions to keep your food clean to prevent food poisoning?
If you would like more information on this topic or get the source URL for this article, then email us at [email protected]