Can you cut off the mould off food then eat it?

We all probably have had a mould problem in the fridge. At home, it is probably caused by some old takeaway from a night out. At the office fridge, it might be colleagues expired grocery – the smell follows you as you open the fridge door. But we all have that throwing out hesitation… is it okay to eat if I remove the mould? Read on to find out.

Ultimately, the decision of cutting off the mould is also a matter of conscience. How do you balance your approach to a potential health risk versus your desire to avoid wasting food. Some professionals believe that hard cheeses will be okay to cut off the mouldy part… but other foods are a different story.

The issue with mouldy food is that it is only a physical representation of what is going on inside the food. Actively growing mould is normally releasing toxins into the food. There are two things to consider when thinking about mould:

  1. The moisture content – low moisture means that the food will only be affected on the surface

  2. The density – stops the mould from producing toxins to the rest of the food

The reason why mouldy food is dangerous is because it can cause food poisoning. Symptoms may include excessive sweating, tremors, muscle weakness, twitching, headache, fever, and vomiting.

Does this change your opinion on mouldy food? Will you be more diligent in cleaning out the fridge at work or at home?

If you would like more information on this topic or get the source URL for this article, then email us at [email protected]

More Info?

Follow Us

Share this post