Trichinosis is a parasitic disease caused by Trichinella worms, which can cause inflammation of the eyes and lungs, in addition to a whole host of other issues. Trichinosis is spread through the consumption of contaminated meat, especially pork. Bizarrely enough, the WHO notes that bear meat is also a known transmission vector – though I doubt that’s on the menu at your favourite restaurant!
Prevention:Thankfully, it is possible kill the parasite’s eggs through proper cooking and storage procedures. Heating meat up to a uniform 63°c will instantaneously destroy the parasite. Avoid eating wild pig meat, and always sanitise surfaces and equipment after working with pork products.
Five Gruesome Food-Borne Illnesses
Straight Out Of A Horror Movie