With 2014 drawing to a close, here are our selected top Australia food safety stories of the year. They are placed in no particular order
- Australia’s move to plain packaging. In order to fight against child obesity, the government is moving towards plain packaging in junk foods so that kids will not be so enticed to it. The full article can be found here.
- Raw milk fiasco. A child died after accidentally consuming raw milk that was used in making bath milk. Though it was clearly labeled as hazardous when ingested, the authorities continued to discuss the ramifications of raw milk. The full article can be found here. The Victorian government, in response, moved for stricter rules for the production of raw milk products. They must now contain a gag-inducing ingredient. The full article can be found here.
- Bonsoy, Aussie favourite soy milk brand, reveals hazardous nature. Hit with a whopping $25 million charge, Bonsoy revealed that their soy milk produced in between 2004 and 2009 contained dangerously high levels of iodine. This affected over 500 victims over the five years. The full article can be found here.
- $1 million fine for an ACT restaurant. The Copa Brazillian Churrasco Restaurant in the ACT was forced to pay out $1 million to food poisoning victims. The two children and numerous adults got sick as a result of bad eggs used to make the mayonnaise in the potato salad. The full article can be found here.
- Toxins found in fish causes major concern. Spanish mackerel have been the source of great concern. After a few RSL club workers at Evans Head in NSW got sick, it was discovered that these fish were carrying a fish poison. The full article can be found here.
Keep food safe for the New Year’s Eve parties and we shall see you in 2015!
If you would like more information on this topic or get the source URL for this article, then email us at [email protected]