There has been a slight uproar in our closest neighbour, New Zealand. This comes after food safety experts are shocked by how food safety authorities in Auckland council have approached in dealing with restaurants that received a low rating in a food safety inspection.
New Zealand authorities rate a business’ food safety rating in A-E grading system. A represents great food safety standards and E being the absolute worst state. The fiasco started that businesses with a food hygiene D rating are not closed until they are up to scratch. The five graded E have been closed until they meet standards.
Food safety experts that the councils are too soft on businesses. They believe that the restaurant rated D should also be closed. One expert recalls visiting one particular place that “quite frankly looked very dodgy to me and they had a B”.
Auckland Council maintains the D-rated businesses are OK to continue selling food. They are confident that businesses with D grades did not pose a critical risk to food safety.
AUCKLAND COUNCIL ‘D’ RATINGS, with reason
- Cheer Top Trading Limited, Fremlin Pl, Avondale
- Julie Ann Dairy, 2 Avondale Rd, Avondale
- Waitakere Superette, Township Rd, Waitakere
- Pecks Bakery, Glen Eden
- Golden Key Takeaways, 546 Te Atatu Rd, Te Atatu Peninsula
- Chuan Mai, 21 Pearn Pl, Northcote
- Sunnynook Fastfood, Sunnynook Rd, Sunnynook
- Wongs Kitchen, 23/44 William Pickering Dr, Rosedale
- Smart Kitchen, 3 Miro Pl, Albany
- O’ Sushi, 5/56 Hurstmere Rd, Takapuna
- Great Thai, Royal Oak
- Traditional Chinese Hot Pot, Dominion Rd, Mt Roskill
- QMT Restaurant, 500 Ti Rakau Dr, Pakuranga
- Smile Dessert Restaurant, 90 Whitford Rd, Sommerville
- Bah Shabu Shabu, 5/15 Torrens Rd, East Tamaki
- Bikanervala Express, 726 Great South Rd, Manukau
- Shamiana Cuisine of India, 5 Putney Way, Manukau
- Shum Fruit Barn, Dawson Rd, Otara
- Sharland Ave Bakery, 41 Sharland Ave, Manurewa
- Dae Jang Guem Korean BBQ Restaurant, 22 Torrens Rd, East Tamaki
AUCKLAND COUNCIL ‘E’ RATINGS, with reason
- Kiwi Bagels, Brick St, Henderson – Cleaning, hygiene facilities, food storage
- Curry Leaf Indian Restaurant and Takeaways, 12 Commercial Rd, Helensville – Pest control, cleaning, food storage
- Spice Land, 5-11 Kent St, Newmarket – Conduct and maintenance, cleaning and sanitisation, process control
- Texas Chicken, 5 Putney Way, Manukau – Pest control
- Bikanervala Express, 726 Great South Rd, Manukau – Pest control, cleaning, food storage
What do you think is the proper way to go by this? Is the council being too soft on the establishments that got the D rating in New Zealand? Does your food business have the right food safety standards so that it would not fail a surprise food safety inspection?
If you would like more information on this topic or get the source URL for this article, then email us at firstname.lastname@example.org